No Warm Up, No Workout
You should be warming up before you exercise. Psychology, it increase your mental readiness to exercise. Physiologically, it increases the rate of muscle contraction, soft tissue extensibility, and blood flow to muscle tissue.
Your warm up should be relative to the training you’re about to do and your training should depend on what phase you are in. Click here to learn more about the 5 phases of training.
Below is the warm up template I follow for Phases 1, 2, 3 & 5:
- Massage Roll
- Integrated Dynamic Movement
Beginner – Intermediate
Because I work at a computer often, my specific warm up focuses on muscles that are overactive due to being in this posture for a prolonged period of time:
- Massage Roll: Calves, Hip Flexors, Chest & Traps
- Stretch: Calves, Hip Flexors, Chest & Traps
- Integrated Dynamic Movement: Band Walks & IYT’s
*Band walks are where you strap a circular band around your toes and step side to side
*IYT’s are where you lay down on the ground in the prone position and put your arms in an “I” position then use your back muscles to raise your chest and arms. Then put arms in a “Y” position and repeat 5 times, then in a “T” position and repeat 5 times.
For Phase 4 (Max Strength) of my 12 Month Training Program where I’m doing snatches and clean and jerks I utilize a small space warm up passed down to me from my Personal Training Teacher Adrian. He was big into cross fit and this is a typical one you would see used in a Cross-fit gym (aka a box).
- Hip Flexor Stretch 30 seconds each side
- T-Spine Reach – 10 each side
- Step Outs – 5 each side
- Step out + Elbow down – 5 each side
- Squat stand – 5 reps
- Squat stand to overhead – 5 reps
- Reverse lunge & reach – 5 reps
- Lateral Lunge & reach – 5 reps
I hope this reminds you to always warm up before your workouts. If you have questions please feel free to find me on social (links below) and ask away. I’m happy to help.
Not Already Subscribed?
If you’re not already subscribed to my exclusive food and fitness tips, visit G-I-Lane.com and input your email into the box that pops up. I look forward to bringing you one-of-a-kind time and money saving tricks relative to food and fitness. Cheers!
Thanks for reading. Until the next blog…
G.I.Lane & Fit Achilles
Original: 1/24/16 | Updated: 5/15/18
Download your FREE G.I.Lane© WokeFokk© Lifestyle E-Book by Entering your Email below!
WokeFokk© is a Lifestyle E-Book by G.I.Lane© that helps people get their Mind Right before and while embarking on fitness & business goals.
This book includes:
- My Wants Vs. Needs Chart that lists all elements needed for your goal
- A Daily Routine Habit Worksheet to get your time management on point
- List of the Pillars of Health in Priority from greatest to least
- Purpose Worksheets to help you find what you love and aspire to be
- My Philosophies on Life and the details of each
- A Mango Basil Smoothie Recipe to get your Meal Plan & Prep locked on
- A Leg-Day Workout to build the muscle you’re going to need for these dreams of yours.
Your E-Book will be sent to your email shortly. Thank you for joining my family. Cheers to your fitness & health.