Summer is close. Everyone wants to look good in shorts and bikinis. Today I want to share with you some favorite booty building exercises. The exercises you see here are more on the functional side of fitness.
Below is a picture from my NASM Certified Personal Trainer Textbook. You can see the muscular imbalances in two postural dysfunctions we call probation and supination. Your training regimen should address any muscular imbalance you have in your body. If not, you may be strengthing a disfunction, wasting time and money. As a Corrective Exercise Specialist, I’m able to program exercises that not only give you a booty, but will also help you decrease your muscular imbalances.
You may see things on social media such as the cable rope pull through but as a NASM certified personal trainer I like to encourage people to train functionally. You may never be in a life situation where you have to pull ropes through your legs. However, you may need to pick something or someone heavy up off the ground at some point.
1. Squat. You can’t have booty without squats. Incorporating squats in your weekly training routine will pump up those glutes. In particular, the Bulgarian Split Squat aka the Rear Elevated Split Squat can not only pump up those glutes (the butt muscles), but they can prevent you from recruiting other muscle groups such as the low back to perform the exercise – further isolating the booty. In Phase 3 Training, we bilaterally squat. In Phase 1 and 2 we Single Leg Squat.
2. Deadlift. You can’t have upper booty without deadlifts. Deadlifts use the upper part of the glute maximus. Some people squat for years and never do a single deadlift and you can see the absence of a fuller upper dairy aire. Do yourself a favor and don’t skip deadlifts on leg day. Single Leg Deadlifts in particular will target the upper and side booty (glute medius) and work to build a more full, well rounded butt. In Phase three we bilateral deadlift. In Phase 1 we single leg deadlift.
3. Stability Ball Glute Bridge. This exercise straight isolates the glutes and puts them into full action. You can feel the glutes working within just a few reps. This exercise shouldn’t be left out of any leg day. In my 12 Month Training Program I like to include these in phase 1 and 2. Click here to read more about the phases of training.
4. Power Step Ups. Ever see sprinters butts? They’re nice right? We know. So how do you get a sprinter butt? Because I like to train functionally and minimize the heavy impact on my joints, power step ups are a great alternative for sprints. I include these in Phase 5 of my 12 Month Training Program.
5. Band Walks. No one moves from side to side these days. Lateral movement is necessary for many reasons. 1, 2, 3. I include these in my everyday corrective exercise movement – included in my 12 Month Strength Training Program.
Hopefully your booty building regimen is on point after reading our top 5 favorite exercises. Please feel free to check out my 12 Month Strength Training Program here where you can get exclusive insight as to how many times / week I do each of these, what months I do what, and how many sets, reps, weight I’ve done for each over a 12 month period. Please never hesitate to ask any questions you may have.
G.I.Lane & Fit Achilles
Original: 5/4/16 | Updated: 5/11/18