It’s summer. Yay!
What Exercises can I do to Look Good in a Bikini?
I get these kinds of questions all the time:
- What’s the easiest way to lose weight?
- Can I make my shoulders look smaller?
- What exercises will help me lose inner thigh fat?
- What can I do to make my butt bigger?
- How can I tone up without getting bulky?
For me, fitness is long term. I’m in it until the day I die. I could come up with some bunk ass 15 minute bikini body workout and market the hell out of it but if you’re like me you’re going to want to know:
- How many days / week should I do it?
- When can I expect results?
- How much weight should I use?
- How many reps and sets should I do?
- How much rest do I take between sets?
There’s no Quick Fix! Train Year Around!
The best way to look good in a bikini is to weight lift year around. Period. This way you never have to worry about getting bikini ready again. I know, it’s not the quick fix some may be looking for but it’s the most effective. I’ve designed a 12 Month Weight Lifting Program to take the guess work out of your workouts year around. So, the short answer is to follow your G.I.Lane© Training Program. Training wise, if I were trying to look good in a bikini, I’d simply follow whatever workouts are planned for whatever month I’m in within my program. I wouldn’t switch or add anything, training wise.
Count your Macros!
I don’t count calories or macros (protein, carbs & fat) daily. But if I were getting ready for a bikini photoshoot or a vacation, I may count my macros the week before and stick to my cutting meal plan found in my Meal Plan Recipe Book here. If you need help understanding what macros are, calculating yours or finding meals that fit within your macros check out my Meal Plan Recipe Book here.
The Take Away
As far as the bikini body goes, my suggestions are to:
- follow my 12 Month Training program year around
- follow my cutting meal plan found in my Meal Plan Recipe Book here.
Below is an example of exercises I’d do if I were trying to get bikini ready. This workout is from phase 5 of my 12 Month Training Program as I just finished up this phase when writing this article. You won’t find any silly curtsy lunges, band squats or stair stepper kick back exercises. What you will find is a professional programmed, systematic, based-on-human-movement-science exercises. Phase 5 is for Intermediate to Advanced level weight lifters only. It is strongly advised you complete phases 1 & 2 before moving to Phase 5. Say I was following my 12 Month Program, it’s May and I’m in Month 5, Phase 5 of the program. I’d simply follow whatever workout was programmed for me that day to get and stay bikini / board short ready year around.
Intermediate – Advanced Level Phase 5 Workout
- Super Set #1: 4 sets
- Bench Press | 15, 8, 4, 3 reps | 45, 65, 95, 95 lbs | 2-0-2 Tempo | 0 Rest
- Plyometric Push up | 0, 7, 4, 4 reps | 0lbs | X-X-X Tempo | 2 minute rest
- Super Set #2: 3 sets
- Seated Cable Row | 8, 10, 5 reps | 100, 100, 100 lbs | 2-0-2 Tempo | 0 Rest
- Wood Chop Throw | 20, 20, 12 reps | X-X-X Tempo | 2 minute rest
- Super Set #3 : 3 sets
- Lat Raise | 11, 7, 7 reps | 15, 17.5, 17.5 lbs | 2-0-2 Tempo | 0 Rest
- Speed Tube Shoulder Press | 30, 30, 30 reps | Green Band | X-X-X Tempo | 2 minute rest
- Super Set #4 : 3 Sets
- Front Squat 10, 8, 5 reps | 95, 115, 135 lbs | 2-0-2 Tempo | 0 Rest
- Power Step Ups | 10 reps each leg | X-X-X Tempo | 2 minute rest
Every workout in the program includes the sets, reps, tempo, rest and weight like you see above. The program has over 150 of these! For only $16/month you can have a list of the best exercises for bikini season for the rest of your life. No searching next year. Just get to it.
If you’ve Read this Far
If you’ve read this far and are interested in a beginner / Phase 1 “bikini” workout, please find me on any of the links below and ask me any questions you may have. Cheers!
G.I.Lane & Fit Achilles
Original: 7/21/15 | Updated: 6/12/18